Covenant Love: Secrets to Staying Married
Staying married is not about staying in love. It is about keeping covenant. “Till death do us part,” or, “As long as we both shall live” is sacred covenant promise: the same kind Jesus made with his bride when he died for her. Therefore, what makes divorce and remarriage so horrific in God’s eyes is not merely that it involves covenant breaking to the spouse, but that it involves misrepresenting Christ and his covenant. Christ will never leave his wife. Ever. There may be times of painful distance and tragic backsliding on our part. But Christ keeps his covenant forever. Marriage is a display of that! That is the most ultimate thing we can say about it.
By John Piper. ©2013 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org. Used by permission.
More from this series:
- You Will Never See Death!
- Judge or Forgive? The Prodigal Son
- Probability, Prejudice and Christ
- Jesus Came to Earth to Destroy the Works of the Devil
- Covenant Love: Secrets to Staying Married
- Boiling for Jesus
- I Have Seen the Lord: How Different Generations Come to Faith
- Jesus a Liar? The Common Root of Unbelief
- How Should Miracle Gifts Be Used in the Church?