Some people have a compulsion to hoard things like collectibles, sentimental items or even garbage. When someone accumulates garbage, that waste attracts insects and rodents, making a bad situation worse. In the same way, many problems people experience are caused by uncleanness and sin in their lives. The uncleanness and sin attract demons (i.e., fallen angels), and the demons take up residence in those individual’s lives. The demons amplify the sin, leading to a crisis or disintegration—depending on the scope of the uncleanness and the number of demons present. The demonic amplification develops into oppression, and the oppression causes the person to feel trapped.
The only way to resolve the demonic oppression is through a confrontation with Jesus Christ. Demons are confronted with Jesus when we worship and exalt Jesus’ person as the Son of God. Demons flee when we recognize Jesus Christ as the only One who can exercise authority over demonic influences in our lives.
While demonic oppression can only be overcome when addressed spiritually, when the oppression has been overcome, there are spiritual as well as physical and ministerial transformations. When Jesus frees us from demonic oppression, our lives will be ordered and no longer chaotic. We will be able to function and communicate properly, and we will find mental stability. We will also have desire to tell others about Jesus and exalt Him as a lifestyle. If we need relief from demonic attacks and influence, we should look no further than Jesus because only He can remove demonic oppression and bring us the transformation we so desperately need in our lives.
1. Have you ever received a painful hangnail or paper cut? How did it feel?
2. In what ways can collecting or hoarding be harmful?
Let’s Get Personal
1. How has this message changed your perspective of demonic oppression? What new things did you learn?
2. Are there areas in your life that are chaotic or disintegrating? What led to the chaos or disintegration in those areas?
3. After hearing this week’s sermon and understanding the impact demonic oppression can have, do you think there has been a time you experienced or witnessed demonic oppression? How did the demonic oppression affect you or the another person?
Take the Next Step
1. How can you begin to turn over the chaotic areas of your life to God to be transformed?
2. How should worship and exaltation of Jesus be a part of your lifestyle? What can you do this week to incorporate this lifestyle of worship?
3. What are some ways you can proclaim Jesus this week and witness to others about how Jesus has transformed your life?
4. Want to go deeper? Take time to look at the following passages: Matthew 12:22-28; 1 Corinthians 10:20-22; 2 Corinthians 6:14-18; Luke 11:24-26; Acts 16:14-21; 19:11-16; 1 John 4:1-5; 1 Timothy 4:1-5.
Renew Your Mind
“The demons implored Him, saying, ‘Send us into the swine so that we may enter them.’ Jesus gave them permission. And coming out, the unclean spirits entered the swine; and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea, about two thousand of them; and they were drowned in the sea.”