Oprah Winfrey is a force of nature. She is CEO of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, she is the voice of women’s empowerment and she is a world-renowned philanthropist. Every day her voice is heard on the airways and her portrait appears on the cover (issue after issue, I might add) of a best-selling magazine. But has she stepped over the line with all the other super-human cult heroes who have become revered as founders of faith, prophets of God, and visionary world-changers? Is Oprah taking her place with L. Ron Hubbard, Mary Baker Eddy, Joseph Smith, or Mohammed? Probably not intentionally.
However, the “Church of Oprah” had its first gathering in March of 2008 and soon claimed over two million members at its inception.
Listen to excerpts of her espousal of New Age philosophy at www.snopes.com/politics/religion/newageoprah.asp. Read Marianne Williamson’s daily devotional on Oprah.com.
Here are just a few tenets of Oprah’s “Bible,” A Course in Miracles, by The Foundation for Inner Peace:
• “There is no sin. . . ” (p. 183)
* A “slain Christ has no meaning.”(p. 425)
* “The journey to the cross should be the last ‘useless journey.” (p. 52)
* “Do not make the pathetic error of ‘clinging to the old rugged cross.’” (p. 52)
* “The Name of Jesus Christ as such is but a symbol… It is a symbol that is safely used as a replacement for the many names of all the gods to which you pray.” (p. 58, Leader’s Manual)
* “The recognition of God is the recognition of yourself.” (p. 147)
* “The oneness of the Creator and the creation is your wholeness, your sanity and your limitless power.” (p. 125)
* “The Atonement is the final lesson he [man] need learn, for it teaches him that, never having sinned, he has no need of salvation.” (p. 237)
Tom Cruise, Oprah’s “couch-jumping” friend, is a self-appointed front-man for Scientology. Madonna leads her fans toward the Jewish numerology of Kabbalah, and Shirley MacLaine develops a jewelry line with special “energy” forces to increase your spirituality. Since when did celebrities become the voice of God? Did any of them rise from the dead?
Paul the apostle wisely penned these words in Galatians 1:6-8:
“I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!” NIV
Acts 4:12 sums up the message of the Bible regarding salvation in these few words regarding Jesus Christ:
“Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” NIV
When it comes to my eternal destination, I think I will turn off my television and look to the Word of God.