It is of the utmost importance that believers understand the spiritual authority they possess. In Ephesians, Paul prayed that the believers would grasp the depth and breadth of their authority because he was concerned they would not maximize their power. Just like Paul prayed for a greater comprehension of the believer’s authority, we ought to pray for more understanding, wisdom, and knowledge of spiritual authority (which is Kingdom authority).
The authority Paul prayed for, that other believers should also pray for, is available to us based on the resurrection of Jesus Christ and it is a power that God wants to transfer to believers. However, this power exists in the spiritual realm and in heavenly places (Eph 6:10-12). It does not exist on earth, and that is why prayer is critical in the life of the believer. Believers should ask for power and ask to see life the way God sees it (Ps 119:18). If the person who trusts in Christ’s resurrection power does not pray, then they are only oriented towards earth and will not experience the power that God gives. Jesus is seated in heavenly places (Eph 2:4-6) and that connection to Him is the key to our spiritual kingdom – oriented on Earth.
Submission to the Lordship of Jesus Christ is critical for experiencing His power; and our submission to Christ is accomplished through the church (Eph 3:10). When people skip God’s spiritual source, the church, or skip the spiritual connection to heavenly places, or skip the Lordship of Jesus Christ, who is the head of the church (Col 1:18; 2:10), then they are not plugged into the system through which God delivers His power. Disconnection from the lordship of Jesus Christ and the authority of Christ from the church dumbs down the flow of power and authority that God has for His people. Every believer who wants to see God’s power fully at work in his or her life should understand the authority they have access too, how God’s authority works, and pray for a greater understanding of God’s power. This is so that they are able to maximize their contribution to the Kingdom while on earth and personally experience the fullness of God’s abundant life!
- In your own words, share your understanding of God’s authority and power. What does it look like for a believer to walk in spiritual authority?
- Do you pray to experience spiritual authority and power in your life? Why or why not?
- God’s authority has a delivery system. The delivery system includes the local church. Are you in submission to the Lordship of Jesus Christ as it relates to your engagement and involvement in the local church? Why or why not?
- What can you do today to increase your submission to Christ so that you are positioned to experience maximum power?
- Want to dig deeper? Take a look at the following passages: Ephesians 2:4-6; 3:10; 6:10-12; 2 Kings 6:15-17; Psalm 119:18; Colossians 1:15-20; 2:8-15
Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship.